January’s Challenge

Despite efforts to keep freezer and cupboard stash’s at a comfortable level, I feel like we’ve got to an unmanageable level. So I’m trying something I’ve never done before.

I’m cutting my grocery budget in half for a month. 

Yikes, this is scary. I usually have $140 a week. I’m going to give myself just $70. For 3 adults and 1 toddler. We have it a bit easier on our grocery budget, because I don’t have to buy meat, milk or yogurt, three very highly consumed commodoties in our house. I also have really high standards for what I buy, and I don’t plan to lower those. Where we live, grocery prices are higher than almost anywhere else. Much higher the the USA, and even higher than Duncan or Victoria where we would take a ferry to. So this may still seem like a large amount, but it’s not.

I’m still only going to buy veggies and fruit from local farm stands, in the grocery store from BC, or organic. Since Poppa living with us, I’ve had to start buying celery, which I NEVER used to, but  since it’s a great snack food for him, I’ve sucked it up and bought non-local veg, but I do always buy organic. Friends of ours told me that they try to get 80% whole foods in their diet, preferably organic or local, and the other 20% is for things like sugar in baking, etc.

Certain parts are going to be easy, I have tons of rice, potatoes are cheap from a farm stand and I’ve got a few meals of quinoa and pasta.

Others won’t be as easy, because I’ll have to be careful about what new recipes I want to try, that they don’t have some exotic, expense ingredient.

More than anything, I’m going to use up what we have in the freezer and canned, because I like to keep everything current, and nothing outdated. I forsee lots of baked goods with canned fruit!

I’m excited for this challenge, because I’m giving myself an incentive at the end.

I’m not doing it because I don’t have any money for groceries, I still have the alloted $140 a week into the ‘grocery money’ jar. The incentive I’m giving myself, is that if I get through the month on $70 a week, then Marius and I are going out for a kickass dinner out, and we’ll put the rest into savings.

I’ll let you know how I do, maybe even share what I bought! And I’ll for sure share what I’m making for dinner.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “January’s Challenge

  1. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday « Venison for Dinner

  2. Pingback: Grocery shop! « Venison for Dinner

  3. Pingback: How my January Went « Venison for Dinner

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s