Farm Fresh Friday/Our Essential Medicine Cabinet- Tick care for Dogs

farm fresh friday

 

Personally, we don’t have a dog, but both Marius and I grew up with multiple dogs underfoot all the time. We’ve decided not to get a dog until we own our own home. BUT! A couple weeks ago we had my stepdads dog, Rosoce, for a week while they were away. He’s a great chap, an 8 yr old yellow lab who’s super calm. He spent most of the time laying on a blanket in our mudroom.

One night while he was laying there, Marius noticed a tick on him! Yuck, so nasty. 

On a side note…When I was 15, my Dad and I went moose hunting in Alberta with friends. My Dad was gutting the moose and got bit by a tick. He was in University at the time and when he got home, He asked his professor about the bite as it was red and inflamed. His Prof told him he was excused from class and to please go to the hospital as that was not good. He was infected with limes disease but able to catch it and didn’t get anything worse than he has minor arthritis. Some people are blinded by it. 

Anywho, after Marius pulled it out, straight out, without twisting, and made sure the head was attached, I decided I needed to put some essential oils on it. Cause in this house? Somethings up? Oh, there’s an oil for that…

essential medicine cabinet

 

I knew Lavender would be anasgelsic and Meleluca (also known as Tea Tree Oil) would be a great disinfectant against bacteria. 

IMG_6709

 

I started by taking 1/2 a tsp of coconut oil in my palm, then putting two drops of each oil in my hand, and stirring them around. Then I kinda cupped my hand and quickly put it overtop of the tick bite and rubbed it around. Roscoe has never had a problem with ticks before, but I decided that not on my watch would this be the time something happened!! 

If you notice a tick bite on animal, or human, getting red and swollen or infected please seek medical attention. 

I am a DoTERRA Independent Product Consultant and using the following link will earn me commissions. I use DoTERRA because I believe in their quality and I trust them 100% to use on my whole family. If you have any questions about essentials PLEASE ask me! I’m not in this just to sell them, I truly just want more people to discover how versatile, intuitive and simple to use they are. Please know the quality of your oils before using them. Find my webstore here. 

Find out more about Essential Oils on the Essential Oil tab at the top! 

Crunchy Tuesdays: Spontaneous Rash on a Toddler

crunchy tuesday

 

*I am not a doctor or medical professional, this was just my personal experience.*

Last week my 3 yr old niece, Amy, was over. They hadn’t been here 10 minutes when, while colouring, my sister, Molly, noticed a rash on Amy’s neck. Upon further inspection it went to her shoulder and a bit on her back. We both got panicky right away, Molly more so, because within the last 20-30 minutes Molly had got Amy changed into her current clothes and her neck/shoulder had been clear.

Right away Molly said “What can I give her?” The first thing that came to mind was Aconite.  Aconite is a homeopathic remedies for things that are sudden. Arnica and Aconite are the most reached for around here. Arnica for bruises and injuries, Aconite for any sudden onset symptoms. Since this rash was all of a sudden it was the immediate conclusion I came to. I told Molly to look on my iPhone, because I have the ‘mdo’ app which is a doTERRA app for essential oil uses, while I grabbed and administered Aconite. Less is more with homeopathy. Giving 6 little ‘pills’ at once will do no more than giving 2 pills, then an hour later 2 more, then an hour later 2 more. What I was taught is that 3 doses is what should let you know if its working or not. (And if it’s not, to research another remedy) Severe symptoms/injury/illness, give those doses 5 minutes apart. (Bee sting, car crash). Less severe, space them by an hour or two. This wasn’t horrendously severe so I told Mol to give her more an hour later. It’s also important that you don’t drink or eat anything 15 minutes either side of taking a homeopathic remedy. Breastmilk is the only neutral substance.

As for essential oils, Molly chose to make a blend, appropriate for children, for allergic reactions. I have these 1 ml sample bottles, so in one of those she mixed up 6 drops lavender, 2 drops peppermint, 2 drops meleluca. You then put just a drop or so on the following spots: back of neck, bottom of feet, earlobes and inside of wrists. These are places where oils are well absorbed.

She then took Amy home to rest and watch cartoons, because rest is important for your body to heal! An hour or so later I talked to Molly and the rash was no longer raised and bumpy as well as starting to fade. Success in my books! What caused this? Not sure, maybe the new clothes she put on had something on them?

I’m so thankful and blessed with the small amount of essential oil, homeopathic and herbal healing knowledge I have. I literally use one of those every day!

Because this girls way more fun when she’s 100%!

IMG_4564